Friday, July 24, 2009

Do I Need To Spend the Money ? But I Want a New Toy


I am currently saving money for a new bike. I want to pay for the bike, not put it on credit, so I am saving all my pennies and dollars, mainly pennies at the moment. I wanted a new tri bike and I wanted that bike to be the new QR CD0.1 (http://www.quintanarootri.com/), but then I came across the data and I might change my mind. If you look at the attached wind tunnel data my current bike, QR Seduza, has only marginally worse wind tunnel results. The average Cd is .004 worse on the Wind Axis and .006 on the Body Axis. There is 3 watts difference and an average of 19 grams of drag on the Wind Axis and 20 grams on the Body Axis. Do I want to spend 330o for a new frame, fork, seat post, or 6000+ for a total bike. Maybe not for that much difference. Maybe I spend 1200 (+tire and cassette) for a Zipp Sub-9 disc wheel and save some more for a new road bike. I recently sold my Lemond Sarthe, so I also would like a new road bike.

The Zipp Sub-9 disc on my current bike would benefit me more than a new Cd0.1 and my current Zipp Z6 wheels, probably.

I think the disc and a new road bike is a better option. Either way it is going to be awhile before I have the money to make the purchase(s), but it is fun to think about.

No comments: