Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Leg and "The Race of Truth"

I went to the doctor Monday afternoon for what now has become my monthly x-ray and doctor consult about the stress fracture in my tibia. I was getting pretty down about it. So, it was much to my relief that the x-ray showed the fracture to be almost gone, not gone, but almost. Enough that I can stop wearing the damn boot. No more boot. Hooray.
I can't run for another 4 weeks. After I go back for another x-ray and make sure it is entirely gone. In the mean time I have one PT appointment. I am not sure how many I will need. I know that I need to gain strength in my left leg. I can feel pain/weakness in my knee and ankle in my left leg. I am going to try and do a couple triathlons and a few duathlons. At least the first triathlon (Saint Paul Triathlon) will be a relay or a DNF at the run. No matter, it is good to be going again, even if it is not full speed ahead.
To celebrate my lack of cast I did the Tuesday Night Time Trial (T'N'T). This would be my 4th year doing this race. First year I only did it a two times (on my, now gone, Lemond Sarthe), year after 5 times, last year 7 times (of 8), this year I was going to do all of them, or at least try. So with two left I did one on Tuesday. My goal was to finish, which I did. Next, it would have been nice to go over 20MPH, I went 21.04 MPH. Considering I have been only biking 4 hours a month, for the last 3 months, and it was easy biking on the trainer. I am pretty happy with the results. I was worried about fluids, so I drank probably more water and Power Aid (ick) than I need. I ended up puking in my mouth a few times. I have not done that in awhile. It hurt and was difficult. I did not get out of the saddle, as instructed. I did it.
The TT, otherwise known as "The Race of Truth", felt really good, despite the pain. It is good to be back and competing a little bit.
2009 T'N'T = 11 miles, as always - 21.04 MPH which was 60th out of 65 (Not Last!)
2008 T'N'T Ave = 23.03MPH Ave Place = 35/64
2007 T'N'T Ave = 21.46MPH Ave Place = 40/52
2006 T'N'T Ave = 19.3MPH Ave Place = 52/52 (Average of two, second to last and last place)

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow - considering you situation, you did GREAT out there! I could not have pulled that speed out in your shoes!

Good luck with the fracture!