Saturday, July 18, 2009

5th Product Review - Easton Attack TT Aerobars




In the past I had ridden a couple different sets of Profile clip-on aerobars, which I had mixed feelings about. The fit of those bars were never quiet right. They served their purpose on road bikes. The first full aerobars I rode were FSA, which I road for a season. The FSA bars are aluminum and seemed very bulky, but did the job. The bars were the standard aerobars when I purchased my QR Seduza. I wanted to go to carbon bars that were less bulky, I looked at the Zipp Vuka, but the price was prohibitive for me. 1200 bucks is a lot for a set of bars. I went with the Easton Attack TT aerobars because they are the lightest, at 388 grams compared to the Zipp Vuka at 860 grams, and the price (retail ~$600) is less than half the price of the Zipp, and I purchased mine on sale. One of the drawbacks of the bars is there is almost no adjustment, but they do come in 3 different lengths (225mm, 250mm, and 275mm). There is adjustment in the elbow pads, but it is very limited. The bars are narrow and very flat, so the position is very aggressive. I consider myself a person of limited flexibility so the aggressive position had me a little worried. The narrowness of the bars also worried me; I was warned when I bought them that it could restrict my breathing on the bike. I am not the strongest with bike handling skills, so the narrow bars are also make handling a little tighter. After the bars were installed I had a Retul fit (http://www.retul.com/) performed to make sure I was in the proper riding position. As an aside, a Retul fit is well worth the money. If you are going to spend the money on a bike and components, you might as well spend the extra to make sure you are setup correctly. Otherwise you are throwing money away by not setting up yourself with the components you spent all that money on.
I have done about 18 triathlons/duathlons and 7 time trials and I have to say I like these aerobars a lot. There are no issues with restricted breathing or control. I am very comfortable on them and they provide an excellent riding position. Up to this point they are the best aerobars I have ever ridden on.

No comments: