Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 2013 Racing and Training Summary

In October I did the last two Salomon Autumn Trail Races.  Amazingly, I dropped time in each race.  Even more time in the last two.  All my times are below.  After I did my last multi-sport race in September, Dousman Duathlon, I focused on running and did more lifting.  On the weeks that I did not do a trail race, I did a very hard run on the treadmill.  I would do a mix of hard incline and speed. After, I finished the trail races, I kept doing hard treadmill workouts.  October became something of a "run focus" month.  Not really in terms of the amount of time I spent, more in the intensity of workouts.  
I decide not to cut swimming as much as I did in years past.  This October I swam more than I did last October, November, and December combined.   This is the most I have swam in an October since 2010.  I would like to keep my swim up through the "off-season".  I did more strength training this October than any in the past.  My bike and run were down a little bit from previous years.
My plan of November and December is to increase my time spent on bike, lower run intensity and do longer runs, keep up strength work (maybe even try some crossfit), and keep up the swim.
Being that the holidays are coming up, and it appears my wife and I are buying a house, I think the time I spend training will get cut into.  That is ok, it is for good reason and it is that time of the year.

Salomon Autumn Trail Race Results (All runs 4.2 miles, last two significantly cooler than first two)
9/4 - 37:00 = 8:49/mile
9/18 - 36:25 = 8:41/mile
10/2 - 35:31 = 8:28/mile
10/16 - 34:41 = 8:16/mile

I dropped a total of 2:19 from the total time and my pace improved by over half a minute per mile.  I did all the runs with my oldest, and best, friend Matt.  I think that really helped to have someone to run with and to help push me.  I did the shorter, 3.5 mi, course twice last year, and my best pace was 8:33/mile.  So, it was good to see by the end I was not only faster on this course,  but faster than last year on a longer shorter course.  For comparison, the winning men's times are in the 23-24 minute range.  That is crazy.

Year-to-Year Comparison of Oct Training and Racing Time




Total Time Since 2007 and Average Training and Racing Time








YTD and Total Time Since 2007
 

No comments: