Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review of 2011 Triathlon Results and Comparison to Past Results

Below is a table of all my Triathlon results for this year.  I will put my Duathlon results in a seperate post.
Select the image to enlarge.  I am pretty happy with these results. 
I completed 10 races and in 7 of the races I had top ten AG finishes and 2 of them were top 3 finishes.    I had a very good season, probably better than I could have hoped for.




Below I have chartered my triathlon results from 2007 to the present.  The results are my averages for each leg, plus T1 and T2.  I threw out my half-IM and Escape from Alcatraz in 2008 and my two half-IMs from 2010, so that I could compare 2007 and 2011 to 2008 and 2010 for equivalent distances.  In 2009, I did two relays and walked the run at St. Croix Valley Sprint.  I did not count any of the results from 2009.
I have started 50 triathlons since 2007.  2 of those were relays, 2 were dnfs, one was a flat and one was intentional, due to my stress fracture.  One of them I walked the run, mentioned above. 
So, the data below is for 42 races.  You can see that from 2007 to 2008 I had improvement, then 2009 off, then 2010 and 2011 I was a little flat in some areas.
I am not sure that plotting averages per year against training time is useful.  Increased training time does not necessarily improve performance.  Though I might just plot that and post for curiousity sake.

Average swim time is fractions of a minute per 100 yards.  Can I get under 1.5 minutes per 100 yards in 2012?

I had a large increas in speed from 2007 to 2008 and then flattened in 2010 and 2009.  My goal for 2012 would be to get over 22MPH for an average and hit 24MPH, or 23.5MPH average, in a race

I would like to get me average run time below 8 min/mi.  Below is fractions of a minute per mile. Taking most of 2009 off for injury really did affect my run average.  I am back to my 2008 average.  In 2007 I one Oly and rest were sprints, of nine total races.  In 2008 I did 14 races, 12 in the chart data, and 5 of those were Oly distance or nearly Oly distance. 


Below are my T1 and T2 average times.  This year I was a little slower in T1, but every year I got faster in T2


I have also plotted my average pace, which is the total time it took me to complete the race divided by the total time, including T1 and T2.  This time has improved year after year.  I like this measure because it incorporates a lot of information.  2007 is the year I had the least number of tris and the shortest average distance, so my pace has improved at longer average distances.



My next post will have the same type of data except for duathlons

No comments: