Saturday, November 13, 2010

Turkey Waddle 5K

This morning I did the Turkey Waddle 5K.  It is a 5K put on by the Augsburg PA school, which my girlfriend attends.  It is pretty informal, no race numbers, no real timing, just some people from the PA program with friends, relatives, significant others, etc.  This is the first open 5K I have done since April.  That 5K I did as a walk and jog with my girlfriend.  I was still worried about my stress fracture and I did not want to push it, I averaged over 11min/mi for that 5K
Back to this morning.  The run is around Lake Phalen in Saint Paul and is almost exactly 3.1 miles by my GPS.  This morning it happened to be about 33 degrees, snowing hard, and windy.  It was cold and wet.  I started out pretty hard and backed off a lot.  The footing was sketchy and on the west side of the lake the wind was pounding with ice pellets.  They guy who finished first came in about 20 minutes, second came in about 3 minutes behind him, and I came in third about 3 minutes behind at 26:15 (8:28 min/mi).  Not my fastest by any stretch, but pretty good for the crappy weather. 
Hopefully I can do one or two 5Ks for before the year is out in better weather

1 comment:

kizzy said...

Indeed that's pretty good for a crappy weather...Congrats...

"Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it."
-Oprah Winfrey ~brooks running