Sunday, March 7, 2010

Workouts for the Week of 3/1 through 3/7

Monday (3/1) - Morning Master's with a twist from Kris. 35 minutes of aquajogging in the "hot" pool. There are two pools, the main pool with 8 lanes that is generally cooler than the pool I aquajogged in, which is 6 lanes. The 8 lane pool is the pool everyone swims in. After 35 minutes of straight aquajogging, I did 100 yards of aquajogging and 200 yard build swim. Did it a total of three 200s in that time and did 100 cool down at the the end. So about 15 minutes of swimming, 700 yards, plus 45 minutes of aquajogging.


After swimming went to see my physical therapist. To start out with, as usual, she tested my hip flexibility which was right where it should be. The only time it was poor was my first appointment, after doing the PT work for a couple weeks and coming back, my flexibility has been just fine. She had me walk down the hall and noticed I strike on the left side of my foot. She suggested trying running shoes with heal stability. She gave me a list of shoes and when I go buy new shoes, hopefully soon, I will try a pair. We then went over all the PT exercises I do to make sure I am doing them correctly. Some I need some tweaking of my positioning. All exercises involve engage my core and using more of my butt muscles and hamstrings. She gave me a couple more new exercises and away I went. I count the PT appoint as about 20 minutes of PT and strength work.


Tuesday (3/2) - Did 30 minutes of PT and strength work. PT exercises focus on core strength and lower body, and improve my mechanics for running. Then did some strength work. Strength work was 3x80 crunches, some planks (also part of PT), Did 3x10 squats with about 20 second hold in squat position between each set. Also did low squat holds, using a broom between a doorway to hold position, as part of PT.


After PT and strength work, got on the bike, on trainer for 35 minutes of medium, medium-easy, easy riding. My trainer is so terrible. Cannot wait for a new one.



Wednesday (3/3) - Master's swim workout, goes a little something like this (it as something of an ass kicker):
150 fr
150 nf
2x25 scull
8x50@1:00 (each one in on about 0:42)
4x100@1:45 (each one in on about 1:28)
6x50@0:55 (each on in on about 0:43)
4x100@1:40 (each on in on about 1:29)
4x50@0:50 (each on in on about 0:45)
300 pull cool
Total yards = 2550 (about 50 minutes)
I was pretty tired after this workout


Thursday (3/4) - 60 minute bike workout, medium to medium-hard pace at times. 10-15 minutes in the middle of the workout doing isolated leg training (ILT), alternating left and right leg pedaling to workout deadspots.


Friday (3/5) - Master's swim:
200fr, 100k, 100ch
6x50 build
6x200 at 90% and smooth, after each 200 got out of the pool and jog around both pools. The jog is probably about 100 yards or so. Dan noted I was limping, eventhough I was not in pain. Might have been tight hamstrings, or the fact I am baby and don't like running in barefeet, or something mental to do with my leg.
4x100
pull@1:45, did them on about 1:40
100k
200cool
Total Yards: 2600 (about 60 minutes)
Doing 200s, getting out of the pool and jogging, and alternating like that is always tiring. There is something satisfying about the workout. Call me crazy


Saturday (3/6) - Gear West Spin Group. Coach Kris lead it. I probably will not get the workout totally correct, but this was about it:
Warm-up, then 15 minute tempo alternating 1 minute in aero-position in 53x15/18 gear and a minute in 53x12 gear. After that, get off bike and do planks. I think we did 5 planks. Hold each one for a minute and then rest 1 minute.
Get back on bike, do some easy, and do a 10 minute tempo. This is where I get fuzzy. I think the 10 minute tempo was, the first part was the same, 1 minute in aero-position in 53x15/18, and I think the next minute was 53x12 out of the saddle.
Get off bike after 10 minute tempo and do wall sits. At least I did wall sits, other guys (there was total of 4 of us, including Kris), did some vertical jumps. I stayed away from the jumps to protect the leg. I did 3x30 second wall sits with 30sr between each. Get on bike and go easy for a little.
Then go 5 minute tempo, do not remember breakdown. After 5 minute tempo there was a short easy, and then final set. Final set was 20 seconds super-spin (about 110rpm), 10 second slow down and shift to 53x12, out of saddle sprint for 30 seconds, 60 second easy, and repeat 5 times total. Then cool down.
As usual, spin group kicks my ass, but feels great. This workout was about 70 minutes long.

Sunday (3/7) - Sunday's workout felt surprisingly good. Especially after having a bunch of people over to my place, having a few drinks, going to bed late, and not sleeping in. Jackie and I went around Lake of the Isles (about 3 miles). We would light jog/jog between two lightposts, and then walk the next two light posts. We did this all the way around the lake. It took about 37 minutes. It was a good workout. No leg pain. It is going to take awhile to get back to actually running, once I can. Just jogging feels so strange.

Swim Yardage for the week: 5850 yards
Swim Time for the week: 2.1 hours
Bike Time for the week: 2.6 hours
Run (jog) Time for the week: 0.61 hours
Aquajog Time for the week: 0.75 hours
PT and Strength Time for the week: 0.67 hours
Total Time of the week: 6.7 hours

No comments: