Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Product Review 19 - Finis Forearm Fulcrum



The Finis Forearm Fulcrum (price $15 - $20) is a figure eight shaped device, or infinity symbol shaped, that fits between the wrist and forearm. To use this device I first had to go to the Finis website and watch the short how-to-use video. I think watching the video for the Forearm Fulcrum (www.finisinc.com/P-10502850/Forearm+Fulcrum+Sr) is a must. The purpose of the Forearm Fulcrum is to keep the arm position correct during the stroke, both in and out of the water. The Forearm Fulcrum aids in keep the elbows high out of the water and at the proper angle as you sweep through underwater. Finis claims the benefit of this device over the paddle is that it does not cause undue stress on the shoulder and arm during use and does a better job of maintaining form. I always think of the paddle as strength building aid that if used incorrectly, poor stroke form, results in pain. I would not consider the Forearm Fulcrum a strength building aid, but a form aid. I used the forearm fulcrum a number of times and swam with it for different distances. I found it somewhat awkward to swim with and this might be due to the fact that it is correcting some fault in my stroke. More than likely, it is correcting some fault in my far from perfect stroke. In my opinion, one of the drawbacks of the Forearm Fulcrum is that it does not allow full movement of the wrist and this hinders the finish of the stroke by the hip, when you giving the finishing push as you take your hand out of the water. A number of people looking at the Forearm Fulcrum noted that about it and a friend, who is a very good swimmer with a great swim stroke, noted that when using the device. I think the Forearm Fulcrum can be a very useful training aid for maintaining the correct arm position in and out of the water, with knowledge of the potential drawbacks

Update 4/1 - From Tundra Transistion Zone - https://tundrat-zone.blogspot.com/2010/03/whats-catch.html

He has his take on some swim equipment including the Forearm Fulcrum

2 comments:

Brian said...

I've been working with the fulcrum for the month of March. It does feel 'weird' but I've come to like it. Try it with a swim buoy so you can concentrate on your stroke and not have to worry about your kick at all. I have incorporated both the fulcrum and paddles ito my workout at the recommendation of my son's swim team coach. I wrote a blog entry on it at: http://tundrat-zone.blogspot.com/2010/03/whats-catch.html

Anyway, stick with it. It has been helping me.

Christopher Hawes said...

Thanks for your comments. I probably should have kept it longer and tried it with paddles. That is a good idea. Some stuff we get for the Test Team we get to keep, some when can buy at a discount after testing. I opted to return the fulcrum.