Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Splash and Dash - Minus the Dash

Once a month on a Tuesday in June, July, and August Gear West Bike and Triathlon hosted a swim-run-swim-run race at Long Lake.  Being I was in a cast the last few months I could not participate.  The first one was cancelled due to the weather and I was unsure about doing the second.  I thought I could swim and skip the run, but I was worried about moving too much without the cast.
Once the cast was off, I felt ok to give it a try.  So I decided to do the swim and skip the run.  The race is basically a 50m swim to a buoy, around the buoy, run around the buoy on shore, then swim out to the buoy and back for a total of 200m plus a short run.  You then run to the "transition square" get your shoes on and run a mile.  There is short break and you do it again. The time for the two swim-runs is added.  
I did the swim and ran to the transition, waited for everyone else to finish.  Then I started the second swim with everyone.  The first swim I went out too fast, first time swimming "competitively" this year.  Part way through I thought I might puke and I sucking wind.  I  made it and learned my lesson.  In a triathlon I typically start kind of slow, build to a steady hard pace.  I did that the second time.  My splits were almost identical.  Consistent I am.
1st swim (including short run to transition) - 3:03
2nd swim (including short run to transition) - 3:05
Not bad for me.  200m is about 220 yards which is about a 1:23 for 100 yards for 3:04, including runs.
This morning, Wednesday, I went out and did the usual Wednesday morning lake swim at the Gunther's on Lake Minnewashta.  I have been doing this swim every summer on Wed for about the last 4 years.  This morning I swam one of my fastest times.  It is about 1100-1200 yards one way and I generally swim both ways.  This morning I swam back in forth in under 39 minutes, which is a rarity for me.  I guess the Splash and Dash warmed me up for the morning swim.
Between the time trial and the Splash and Dash I am feeling pretty good about things after a long summer of not racing.  
Leg still gives me some pain, mainly knee and ankle, a little in the area of the fracture.  The pain in the fracture area is occasional and I can put a specific action that causes the pain.  In any case, hopefully the heal is still going and I can start running in September.   

No comments: