Thursday, November 29, 2012

Analysis of Run Performance Since 2006 - Comparison of Training Time to Run Performance

This post is a look at my run data since 2006.  Unfortunately, like the bike, I only have full run data from 2007, only results from 2006.  In 2009, as I have mentioned in the past, I had a bad stress fracture and basically did not run for 6 months of that year, and the beginning of 2010.  So,I have no data for 2009.
Since 2009, I have been hesitant to run as much or as hard as I did prior to the stress fracture.  I am sure that this is part of the reason for my slower times since 2008. 
Near the end of 2012, currently, I have begun to do my training faster, and I plan on running longer training workouts in 2013.  I think I am getting over my fear of re-injuring my leg.  I have been hesitant in training to go as faster or as far as I require to go faster.
So the plan is to go longer and faster in 2013, with the hope I can improve my run speed to 2008 times, or faster results.  In 2008, I ran my fastest 5K (22:33 = 7:16min/mi), 10K (46:36 = 7:31min/mi), 2mi (12:58 = 6:29min/mi), and 8K (36:40 = 7:20min/mi), in 2009 before stopping due to stress fracture.  I have not been close to those times since then.  I have not run an open 10K since 2008, which is something I need to start doing again.
In 2008, for the period of Jan-Sept I put in 86+ hours of running. Since then I have not even come close to that amount of time.  Unlike the bike, where I think I do not need to put in that much more time, just more effort, with the run I think I need more time and effort to show the improvement I am looking to obtain.
2006 is heavily weighted with open runs (11) and duathlons (5).  I have done less and less open runs since then and more and more duathlons and triathlons.  I should really get back to doing more open runs.
The larger range in 2008 is due to my slow run time at Alcatraz and the 70.3 I did that year.  The large range in 2010 is due to the two half-IMs I did.  My average in 2010 is depressed due to the fact I took it easier in the first few races of the year as I came back from injury. In 2011 and 2012 I did only sprint and olympic distance, so the shorter distances kept the range tighter
The data in the table and graphs is in Seconds/Mile, rather than Minutes/Mile because it is easier to graph in Excel.
The graph of comparing total training time to fastest speed and average speed shows no real corollation between the two.
Based on the graph comparing total run time to fastest and average, an argument can be made that more time is better.  The problem is one data point is at the high end and the rest are at the low end.  Hopefully, in 2013 I can put a data point closer to the higher end, at least between the high data point and the low data point, and that data point has a faster average and faster fastest than the rest.
It is too bad that I cannot get a quantative measure of run effort, like power, and plot that, it would be more useful to include with time.


Run Data Table







Comparison of Run Training Time to Fastest Run Speed










Comparison of Run Training Time to Average Run Speed
 
 
Comparison of Total Training Time to Fastest Run Speed







 

Comparison of Total Training Time to Average Run Speed
 

No comments: