Wednesday, August 29, 2012

2012 Maple Grove Triathlon





Picture of me getting out the water was taken by Kerry Yndestad at Yndecam

This last Saturday was the 3rd running of the Maple Grove Triathlon.  It was also my third time at this race.  All three times I did the Olympic distance.  It was by far the best weather of the three years.  Cloudy and cooler than usual, still a bit humid, but you probably could not ask for better conditions in MN in August.  The past two years had been sunny and very hot. 

I had a pretty good race.  I would say typical for this year.  My swim and bike were very close to last year's results.  Again, my run was slower than last year, and slower than I would like.  As I have mentioned previously, I think I have mentioned it previously, I need to work on my run for next year.

The course has not changed, but the ability of the AG competitors has changed a lot.  The first year, 2010, I finished 3rd in my AG out of 22 (Overall Olympic I was 31 of 167).  Last year I was 2+ minutes faster than 2010 and I was 9 out of 33 in my AG (Overall Olympic I was 44 of 216).  This year I was about two minutes slower than last year, but still faster than 2010, and I was 18 out of 47 in my AG (Overall  Olympic I was 103 out of 367).  So, as you can see, not only are the number of participants in the Olympic distance, and Sprint distance, increasing every year, but the athlete ability is getting better each year, and I am not keeping up very well.

The swim was pretty uneventful.  No issues with crowding, or getting hit by anyone.  About halfway through I felt my left shoulder get tight and it started to hurt.  Occasionally this happens when swimming with my wetsuit.  I know my left side is my weak side and somehow the wetsuit makes it worse.  Not sure if the tightness of the suit does something to my stroke, and that is what causes the pain.  I felt a little slow/tired on the swim, but I came in right around where I expected, though I would have liked to have been faster.  Of course.

I got through transition no problem, but once out on the bike I felt a little, ugh.  It was odd.  I would say the first quarter to third of the bike I felt a little nausea and my legs felt "light", like they were not going to listen to me.  After I was on the bike for a bit my nausea went away and my legs felt better.  The bike was windy at times, but the course changes direction enough so that you are not always into the wind, or have a tailwind.  The road surface is not too bad, there is one section that is annoyingly rough, otherwise it is pretty good.  As you can see from my results, I have pretty much maintained the same pace each year.

Off the bike I felt ok.  Like almost every race this year, my legs on the run have not been up to the task.  Or at least up to the task of running as fast as I would like to run. Right out of transition you have a short steep uphill that tapers up to a low grade incline.  You run through a mostly flat neighborhood, and then through a neighborhood that has some ups and downs.  For the second loop, you run around the park/transition area, and you run along the northside (I think) of the lake.  This is a long false flat/low grade incline that is deceiving, also there is no shade, but water stop.  This section on the second loop seems to take some energy out of you, once you pass this portion, you are back on the same section of course as the first loop.  Another thing about the run is that it is two loops that are nearly, but not identical.  The second loop is longer because it goes around the park/transition area.  You finish the first loop and think, "That was bad, but I made it, and I ONLY have to do it one more time."  Then you realize the second loop is longer and, "Oh shit, this sucks worse"   Again, this is a challenging run.

This race is well run and I like doing it.  The course is challenging.  The bike has a mix of some climbs, false flats, and flats.  The run is very challening, with some decent uphills and false flats.  There are two uphills before the second lap/finish that burn.  The last two years I have done the packet pickup in the morning.  I have gotten there right around the time that transition opens, about 5AM, and there have been no issues.  I have watched people get there later and have issues with time, but that is thier fault.  The race is well run and well organized.  I think it is the only Olympic distance race that not only has one bottle exchange on the bike, but two bottle exchanges. I have never used them, but it is a nice touch.  The water stops on the run have cold water and the volunteers are great.  The volunteers are great not only on the water stop, but for the whole race.  The beverages are cold at the end and the food is good.  Some fruit, chips, sandwiches from Smoking Bonez BBQ (I think that is the name of the place) and salads from Noodles and Company.  Every year, including this year, I see people I know, and like, from the tri community and I get chance to talk to them, which is also an enjoyable aspect to this race.
This is a race I would like to continue to do.

2012 Maple Grove Triathlon Results
Swim (1640yards) = 28:26 (1:48/100 yards)
T1 = 1:57
Bike (26mi) = 1:13:14 (21.2MPH)
T2 = 0:54
Run (6.2mi) = 52:12 (8:25/mi)
Total = 1:37:09
Overall = 103/367
AG = 18/47
Overall Pace = 4:45/mi

2011 Maple Grove Triathlon Results
Swim (1640yards) = 27:29 (1:44/100 yards)
T1 = 2:26
Bike (26mi) = 1:13:32 (21.2MPH)
T2 = 1:12
Run (6.2mi) = 50:15 (8:06/mi)
Total = 1:34:49
Overall = 44/216
AG = 9/33
Overall Pace = 4:41/mi

2010 Maple Grove Triathlon Results
Swim (1640yards) = 27:23 (1:43/100 yards)
T1 = 2:27
Bike (26mi) = 1:13:12 (21.3MPH)
T2 = 1:03
Run (6.2mi) = 52:49 (8:32/mi)
Total = 1:36:54
Overall = 103/367
AG = 18/47
Overall Pace = 4:44/mi

No comments: