Wednesday, April 4, 2012

March 2012 Training Summary - I Also Did an 8K

The amount of time spent training this March was less than the average March over the course of the last 6 years.  I started feeling lethargic this month, not sure why.  During the week, I probably average about 6 hours of sleep a night, then maybe 8 or so on the weekends.  Is it bad sleep, lack of sleep, stress, or all of the above? Not sure, but I hope I start to feel less lethargic.
This month, I did the Human Race 8K in Saint Paul.  This course starts near St. Thomas and goes east on Summit, around William-Mitchell College of Law, and back west on Summit.  It is not a flat course.  I would say it is challenging.  This year it was sunny and hot, for March.  It was in the 70s.  I actually got a little sunburn. 
This would be my 3rd time at the 8K, I had previously done the 5K in 2007.  I did the 8K in 2009, 2011, and this year.  2009 was my fastest at 36:40 (7:20 min/mi pace).  Not long after this race, in 2009, I went to the doctor and found out about my bad stress fracture.  This year and last year's times are nearly identical.  In 2011 my time was 38:49 (7:49 min/mi pace) and this year was 39:11 (7:50 min/mi pace).  So, I guess I cannot complain, because I was not slower.
March was a run focus month, I got in more running than normal, but not as much as Jan, my last run focus month.  April will be a bike focus.  In April I will be doing the OHP Indoor Tri and the last weekend is the first tri of the year, St. Anthony's in FL.  A lot to look forward to in April.
My YTD data looks pretty good, I am getting plenty of swimming in.  If I keep up the distance I will come close to a record for the year.  Not that it is important to out distance myself.  My swimming does feel strong and I have a lot of confidence in it, even thought it is hard to get up at 4AM, even after doing it all these years. 
I would like to get more biking in, hopefully in May and in April, before racing really sets in.  The Tuesday Night Time Trials start in May and that should help my bike intensity work.
I have tried to hold off on running speed work until this month.  I am going to try and add some more intensity.

Comparison of March Training Data




Total Training Time Starting in 2007 and Per Month Averages

YTD and Totals Since 2007

No comments: