Friday, April 20, 2012

OHP Indoor Triathlon Results - A little warm-up

Last Sunday, April 15th, I did the last OHP Indoor Triathlon of the year.
In February, I posted that I did the OHP Indoor Triathlon, but that time I did not do it formally.  I worked the CompuTrainer and then did the tri on my own to see how I would perform.  At that time, I felt I did ok.
The indoor triathlon is a 500 yard swim, a 5 mile CompuTrainer bike, and a 2 mile treadmill run. 
The 5 mile bike doesn't sound that bad, but it is tough, only a small downhill portion, a little bit flat, and 2%, 5%, and 6% climbs.  It is a challenging bike course.
I tried to treat this as a normal triathlon.  So, I got up and ate my normal breakfast.  On the way to OHP I had a donut and coffee, which I typically what I have on the way to a race, for a little extra kick in the morning and it gets my GI tract going before the race. 
There had been a water leak from the ceiling the night before from the studio ceiling, so I spent some time helping with cleanup, and then set my bike up on the CompuTrainer. 
I wore my one piece GW tri kit and weighed myself before warmup.  The weigh-in is necessary for the CompuTrainer, so it can correctly "load" you on the inclines.
There were a total of 23 people who did the tri, 11 of them were MJETs (MN Junior Elite Triathletes) who are 14-21 years old and way too fast for their age.  Just amazingly fast.
Anyway, I was in the first wave, there were 3 of us.  I did 100 yard warm-up and then we were off.
I went out way too fast.  My first 100 was about 1:15 and my 200 was about 2:40, this is way too fast.  I had to back off the last 200-300 yards.  I was struggling with breathing so I did some open turns to get some extra air.  The fact that I did this was a little disconcerting. I was happy with my time, about 7:21 for the 500, but I would have been happier with a more consistent swim.
I got out and headed to the bike.  I was the first of the three out, so I had some time to warm-up a little on the bike.  Once the other two guys got in I could start.  Being this was a 5 mile "sprint" I just hammered as best as I could.  The first portion is not too bad, there is the downhill, no grade, and short uphill, the last part is uphill and flat, and no downhill.  Basically, the last half is slower than the first half.  I felt pretty good coming off the bike.
I really wanted to go under 15 minutes for the 2 miles, 0% incline, on the treadmill, but I did not have it in me.  I should be able to go under 15 minutes, I have gone around 14 minutes.  On the treadmill, I am going out a little easy and then building, instead of what I do during a race, which is go out hard and settle into a pace.  Anyway, I was not able to go under 15 minutes.
I was pretty happy with my result.  The main thing I wanted to do was get the intensity of a race, before the actual season started, which I think I got out of this event.  I have St. Anthony's on the 29th and I always worry a little going in that I am out of shape.  Usually I have a good race at St. Anthony's, or at least a race I am happy with.  This year, I am holding off on my run intensity, doing speed work, until a little later, so that I don't peak as early, and so I don't wear myself out early.  See how that works for me.
Below are my results breakdown for the race, and below that is a table with the overall results for the OHP Indoor Triathlon.  As you can see, I finished in the middle.  My next update will be about St. Anthony's that should be pretty interesting.

500 yard swim = 7:21 (1:28/100 yards)
5 mile CompuTrainer Course Bike = 17:46 (16.9 MPH)
2 mile treadmill run = 15:23 (7:42 min/mi)
Total Time = 40:30

No comments: