Sunday, August 15, 2010

Turtleman Results







First of all, there was no rain and low humidity, at least low for how the weather had been for the previous week. I had the usual breakfast of yogurt, frozen fruit, and granola with a banana, and OJ. I attempted to have my donut and coffee, but the gas station I stopped at had only pre-packaged sweets. So I had a Little Debbie Cheese Danish and coffee. Jackie came with and brought her bike, so she could ride to her stepmoms before the race and come back with her stepmom and stepmom's two nephews before the race. We got there with plenty of time and I got setup and ready with plenty of time, as usual. It was a great morning. Sunny, a little humid, but the temperature was not too bad.
One comment about people at the race. A number of rude and inconsiderate people. At the entrance to the park there was a sheriff volunteer who was asking, and telling, people to get off thier bikes and walk them. He was ignored by a ton of people. I was amazed at how people behaved. Very sad. Also, I saw a number of people, and heard stories of people, being rude and inconsiderate about other people's transition spots. A little disturbing.
I forgot socks, so this was going to be a race where I got to find out what running without socks was going to be like.
The water was about 82 degrees, so wetsuits were not legal. I wore my Speedo FastSkin, most elites wore speedskins of some type over thier tri-suits. If you wore a wetsuit your results were seperated and you were not eligible for anything, points, etc. The relays and elite have a wave/group start and they waded out to the first bouy before starting, out to about chest deep water. The individual start was TT and this made a difference. The bottom of the lake is mucky and nasty. You ran in the water and would be on solid bottom at one point and then sink up to your hip the next. It smelled horrible. I went down to my hips twice and finally decide to start swimming. The water was pitch black and smelled awful. The kind of awful that makes you want to vomit. Once I swam about a hunderd yards or more the water cleared up and swimming was smooth to the end. When you got out it was similar muck. Probably the worst swim environment of the year. The swim itself went very well. I wanted to go around 17 minutes and I did.
T1 went fine. No wetsuit, sunglasses on, helmet on, shoes on, and you can ride in transition, so out I went.
I set my fastest bike in a tri or du this race, I averaged 23MPH. My goal was to make this race my fastest bike split of the year, not sure I would. I think a weekend off of racing and a rest week helped me out. I concentrated very hard on my body position and my stroke and leg position. I am sure this helped alot. I know I can get sloppy on the bike at times and I just don't have the power to be sloppy. I think the temperature, the fairly flat course, and the lack of a serious headwind, really helped. It was one of the first short races where I took a gel in during the race. I took it in with about 15minutes left on the bike. Only hitch on the bike was I took the first turn, once out of the park, too fast and almost clipped a cone. If I had clipped that cone, it might have ended my day early.
When I get off the bike at T2 and went to put on my shoes, I got a massive, massive cramp in my abs. I had to stop, breathe, and stretch, before running. It was a huge cramp.
Once I got off on the run, I knew it was going to be a long run. One, because I expended so much on the bike, and two, the run course is challenging. It is not really hilly, there are some uphills, nothing steep, long and gradual. There is very little shade, and only 4 turns, so you have long stretches to run. I find it somewhat mentally challenging with the lack of turns and the lack of shade. I was happy with my run time, it was between my 2008 time and my 2007 time. I felt I gave it my all. There were no issues with not wearing socks. Nice.
This is a fast course and lots of fast people race this race. You can tell by the bike splits for the Elites (males at 27MPH) and that I ended up in the middle of my AG.
I am really happy with my race results. This was one of my best races of the year. It was nice to have Jackie come back with her stepmom and her stepmom's nephews. I think they were ages 6 and 9, or close to that. I don't think either had seen a triathlon before. The 9 year old seemed much more interested. It was nice to have a little bit larger cheering section.
Turtleman 2010 Results
Swim (1094 yards = 1km) = 16:14 (1:29 min/100yds)
T1 = 1:25
Bike (21.5mi) = 56:04 (23MPH), Fastest bike in a tri or du, ever
T2 = 1:29, ab cramp off of bike. I had to stop and stretch
Run (5mi) = 41:58 (8:24min/mi)
Total Time = 1:57:07
Overall = 138/403, in 2007 and 2008 there were over 700 individual participants
AG = 22 of 43, large and very fast AG
Post pics of Jackie's new bike and my new bike at some point this week. Maybe preview Pigman Half, which I have never done.

No comments: