Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Team Ortho Time Trial - Less Than Stellar Perfomance

I did the Team Ortho TT on Sunday morning.  17.5 miles down and back on West River Road (West River Road has some very crappy portions to it, almost frightening.  I was pretty nervous at times).  I got up that morning and did not feel too bad.   Had a breakfast of Granola Bar, Banana, and OJ. Had water and a donut on the way there.  No coffee, maybe should have had the coffee.  Got there plenty earlier.  They had a transition area for the TT riders.  So I set me stuff up, sipped the Lemon-Lime Clif Shot Electrolyte I have started using.  Did a short ride on the bike. Chatted with a few people about this and that, while waiting for the race to start.
As an aside, the day before, Saturday, Jackie and I went to Eau Claire to spend time at a weekend long party that friends of mine were having.  We went to an arts and crafts fair in Carson Park in EC.  We spent time at the my friend's house just hanging out and playing Rock Band.  I am very bad a Rock Band, so I spent time watching.  Needless to say, my nutrition that day was not good and I did not eat enough or that well.  It may have affected my performance on Sunday.  Also my lack of bike, and overall conditioning, may have affected my performance. 
That being said, I did not have a very good race.  
I went out fast, probably too fast.  I felt pretty cooked before I reached the turnaround.  The ride back was hard and I was slow.   After the turnaround I saw Kevin O'Connor and Dan Cohen, first and second place respectively, coming into the turnaround and my thought turned to when they were going to catch me.  I think they caught me with about 2 miles or so left.  I was spent before I got done.  Probably all par for the course when recovering from this injury.  I have to get used to not being where I want to be, or where I was at.  It is going to take time to get back. 
I went to the doctor on Monday, there is still a small, faint fracture in my leg.  Ugh, no running yet.  I have to wait 4 more weeks for another x-ray to see if it is totally gone.
I am doing the St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon on Saturday.  I will swim, bike, and walk the 4 miles or DNF.  I will probably end up deciding that day.  See what happens.
Anyway, here are my results from Sunday.
Team Ortho TT - 17.5 Miles
Time - 52:38 (19.96 MPH)
Overall - 22/48, Age Group (30-39) - 6/7 

No comments: