Wednesday, November 11, 2015

October 2015 Racing and Training Summary (Along with Changes and Decisions)

Not unexpectedly, my training has slowed down since the birth of Charlie.  I can't get up in the morning to swim, just too tired.  I tried a few times, and could not get out of bed.  Swam once in October at LA Fitness over lunch.  Felt ok.  Try to do that once a month for awhile, until he starts sleeping longer, then I might try to go back to Masters.  All running, biking, and strength I have done over lunch at LA Fitness, when I have time.  Doing them in 20-40 minute blocks, whatever time I can fit in over lunch that day.

I wonder if I have been suffering from some sort of chronic fatigue.  Over the past year or so, I have been really tired at times, frequently.  Just feeling exhausted, physically and mentally.  I really don't take a break from working out throughout the year.  I don't work out a lot, there are people, I know, who workout more than me, but I think they break at certain times of the year.  I just go.  Since Charlie has been born, I have not gotten a lot of sleep.  I have been tired, but it is different than what I was feeling before. 

The above two paragraphs I started writing over a week ago. I had to break and come back to writing this post.  Since then I have done a bit of thinking.  It looks more and more like I might not race at all next year.  Just casually workout when I have time.  Maybe I will try to get back to triathlon in a couple of years or so, we will see.  Not that a lot of people read this blog, I use it more as a diary and to track my training and racing,  but I will probably not post as often, if at all.  I think I need to put less pressure on myself to do things now.  Thinking about trying to train and race is stressful.  I don't want to race, unless I can train appropriately.  I am not a natural athlete, I can't go into a race way undertrained and expect to have a race that I am happy with, so I think the best thing to do, to avoid making me feel stressed, is just to not race, and try to be more casual about training\working out.  Maybe when Charlie gets a little older, and I get more organized, I can try to go back and do some races.  I feel a little sad about it, but it is not the most important thing in the world, my wife and child are the most important things in the world.  Also, I need to take care of my mental and emotional health, and stressing about if I am training enough to race would not help.

Anyway, below are my usual totals.  I will probably do my usual summary posts for the end of the year.  Posts that summarize my performance, related to my training, and summarize the amount I raced.  I have most of the data collected.  I will probably do some random posts about other stuff.

Year-to-Year October Comparison




Since 2007 Totals and Averages








YTD and Since 2007 Totals 
 

2 comments:

Erik L. said...

I enjoy your blog, and understand the decision to step back. There is nothing like being a father. I wasn't active before we had kids, but after a couple kids and few years my wife I figured out the schedule so that we could get into shape. Life will slow down again, you'll be back, thanks for the read.

Christopher Hawes said...

It has been awhile since I checked my blog for comments.
We are expecting a second child in September of this year. I am working on getting back into shape. Maybe someday. Thanks for you comments.