Monday, June 15, 2015

2015 Buffalo Olympic Distance Triathlon Race Report

Second year in a row for Buffalo Olympic.  Last year, the race was delayed about 20-30 minutes do to thunderstorms, the race was relatively rain free, and then rained at the end.  The temperatures were not too bad.

This year, the weather was much different, as you can see in the pictures below. 
As usual, I got up had my usual breakfast and headed out to the race.  Uneventful, as always, just how I like it.

Got there, found a nice spot at the end of a rack, got my number, chip, body marking, etc.  There was supposed to be construction, so the run course was changed.  The construction had not been started, so the change was unnecessary, but happened anyway.  The new run course was a bit of an unknown, though I would get to preview a bit of it on the bike. 

I will get to the race, not much happened beforehand.  It was a little windy, and the water was choppy, and a little chilly, colder than I expected.  There was a lot of bumping into people during the entire swim, which resulted in a very unfortunate mishap for me.  At the merge between the Sprint and Olympic distance swims, I got kicked in the hand and my wedding band came off.  I could feel it slip off my finger, to never return.  It wasn't particularly expensive, but it was my wedding band.  Losing it made me a little sad and angry.  I thought about it most of the race.  Before the race started I thought about taking it off.  When I got in the water, before the start, I thought of taking it off, because of how cold it was, but I thought it would be fine, since I raced all last year with it on.  Immediately after the race I called our jeweler and left a message that I needed a replacement.  I should be getting a new one soon. 

Back to the race. My swim split was about 10 seconds slower this year.  That is nothing over an Olympic distance.  Course could be slightly longer, my path could have been a little more zig-zag, etc. 

The run to T1, for Olympic is a little long, uphill with some grass and pavement.  T1 was not too bad, except we had to exit to the bike at the same point as the Sprint, which meant we had to run up and down grass hills in transition. 

The bike was mostly uneventful.  About a mile or two into the bike I lost my water bottle, so I had no hydration during the bike.  That was unpleasant.  The bottle bounced out as I was going over some rumble strips.  It was sunny, and windy.  There is a decent amount of hills, and at times the wind felt challenging, but it was mostly uneventful.  I did not feel too bad coming off the bike.  According to their map, the bike was 0.8 miles shorter this year than last, not sure that is correct, not sure where the 0.8 miles was taken out.  The course seemed the same.  My average bike speed, based on the assumption the course was shorter this year than last, was the same as last year.

Out of T2 I was fast.   I think part of my slow run at St. Anthony's was how slow I came out of T2.  Here, I came out of T2 faster.  The new course has you going uphill, short and steep, initially, then a little flat, and the hills.  The run course is short and long hills.  Tough run, especially in the sun with no shade.  I think this new run is tougher than the old run.  I was 40 seconds slower this year, over last year.  Again, this run is harder than the old one.  I was worried about the run going into this race.  My performance, all around, alleviated some\most of my fears.  I had such a bad swim and run at St. Anthony's, especially compared to the previous year, I was worried I was too out of shape, or something was wrong.  I feel much better after my performance at Buffalo.

If the bike course distance was actually the same from this year to last year, then I actually had a faster day this year than last year, which would be surprising.  Either way, it was a perfect weather day for racing and I am very happy with my performance.

Below are some pictures.  One of me working hard on the run, taken by Terence Lee.  The rest of the pictures are my usual pictures.













2015 Buffalo Olympic Distance Triathlon
Swim (1640 yards) = 27:47 (1:42/100 yards)
T1 = 3:06
Bike (23.8 miles) = 1:07:18 (21.2MPH)
T2 = 1:17
Run (6.2 miles) = 50:13 (8:06/mi)
Total = 2:29:40
Overall = 85/260
AG = 13/38
Overall Pace = 4:50/mi

2014 Buffalo Olympic Distance Triathlon
Swim (1640 yards) = 27:37 (1:41/100 yards)
T1 = 2:47
Bike (24.6 miles) = 1:09:28 (21.2 MPH)
T2 = 1:36
Run (6.2 miles) = 49:33 (7:59/mi)!
Total = 2:30:59
Overall = 77/253
AG = 11/31
Overall Pace = 4:46/mi

2007 Buffalo Sprint Triathlon
Swim (440 yards) = 10:02 (2:15/100 yards)
T1 = 4:38
Bike (13 miles) = 39:13 (19.9MPH)
T2 = 2:08
Run (3 miles) = 23:14 (7:45/mi)
Total = 1:19:13
Overall = 214/731
AG = 73/178
Overall Pace = 4:53/mi

No comments: