Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Analysis of Run Performance - Racing and Training Since 2006

This post is a look at my run data since 2006.  Unfortunately, like the bike, I only have full run data from 2007, only results from 2006.  In 2009, as I have mentioned in the past, I had a bad stress fracture and basically did not run for 6 months of that year, and the beginning of 2010.  So, I have no data for 2009.
Since 2009, I have been hesitant to run as much or as hard as I did prior to the stress fracture.  I am sure that this is part of the reason for my slower times since 2008. 
Near the end of 2012, I have began to do my training faster, and I have done longer training workouts in 2013.  I think I am getting over my fear of re-injuring my leg.  I have been hesitant in training to go as faster or as far as I require to go faster, but that changed in 2013.
So the plan was to go longer and faster in 2013, with the hope I can improve my run speed to 2008 times, or faster results.  In 2008, I ran my fastest 5K (22:33 = 7:16min/mi), 10K (46:36 = 7:31min/mi), 2mi (12:58 = 6:29min/mi), and 8K (36:40 = 7:20min/mi), in 2009 before stopping due to stress fracture.  I have not been close to those times since then.
In 2013 I ran an open 5K at 22:06 (7:08/mi), my 8K time was 38:10 (7:41/mi), and 2 mi was 14:29 (7:15/mi).  I did not run an open 10K.  So, I was able to put together my fastest 5k in many years, and the 8K was the fastest since 2009, run with my stress fracture.

In 2014, my training was much more specific.  If you include my races, I probably spent 95% of my time on treadmill doing very specific workouts.  I made sure my runs were at least 35 minutes and attempted to stay in the 40-50 minute range. 
I did a lot of intervals work.  Examples:
10 minute warm-up then 6x(3min at 7:30/mi and 2min at 8:00/mi), then 5 min easy, then 5x (30sec at 6:45/mi and 30 sec at 8:30/mi) then 5-10 min warm down.
or
10 minute warm-up then 6x(2min starting at 7:30/mi and 3min at 8:30/mi) increasing speed each interval, then 5-10 min warm down.
When I did run outside, it was generally at more relaxed pace, when it wasn't a race.
I think the combination of more bike time, plus very concentrated run work,  plus being about 10 pounds lighter, helped me greatly.
I had the fastest run I have ever had at St. Anthony's. After St. Anthony's every Olympic distance race I had, there were 3, I ran all my 10k runs under 8:00/mi.  I have never, ever done that.  I had my fastest 10k off the bike, at USAT AG Nationals.  The 8k I run at the beginning of the year was my fastest since 2009. 
This year I did not have my fastest average pace, and I didn't have my fastest run (I didn't run any open 5ks), but I did have my second fastest average (tied), and my smallest range between fastest and slowest pace.  I would say this was my best year running, almost solely based on my 10k off the bike performance.
2006 is heavily weighted with open runs (11) and duathlons (5).  I have done less and less open runs since then and more and more duathlons and triathlons.  This year I did a number of open run, four trail races, and an 8k, the usual 8k.
The larger range in 2008 is due to my slow run time at Alcatraz and the 70.3 I did that year.  The large range in 2010 is due to the two half-IMs I did.  My average in 2010 is depressed due to the fact I took it easier in the first few races of the year as I came back from injury. 2011-2014 I did only Sprint and Olympic distance, so the shorter distances kept the range tighter
The data in the table and graphs is in Seconds/Mile, rather than Minutes/Mile because it is easier to graph in Excel.  Lower is better.

Most of my data is clustered around the 60 hours of running per year, which is probably and reasonable and good (safe) amount of running if I am not going to do a half-ironman or an ironman (never).  I think that in 2008, when I spent 91 hours running, was too much.  There should be an asterisk by my 2008 fastest, it was on an indoor track and it was only 1 mile.  All the other fastest pace times are 2 mile runs or longer.  I think in the end, as long as I am running nothing longer than a 10k, and I keep up my intensity, running about 60 hours a year is probably good enough for me.

Run Data Table









Comparison of Run Training Time to Average Run Race Pace










Comparison of Run Training Time to Fastest Run Race Pace











Comparison of Total Training Time to Average Run Race Pace















Comparison of Total Training Time to Fastest Race Pace
 

No comments: