Friday, August 8, 2014

Comments\Thoughts Before USAT Age Group Nationals

On Saturday I will "compete" in the USAT Age Group Nationals, the Olympic distance event that you have to qualify for by finishing in the top third of your age group in a USAT sanctioned qualifying event.  I qualified at St. Anthony's earlier this year, it was a huge surprise.

For some people, qualifying might not be a big deal.  They basically qualify every race they do.  I swam for three years, ran cross country for three years, and ran track for one year in high school and never qualified for anything.  This is the first time, in an athletic setting, that I performed well enough at one level, to qualify for something bigger.  So, for me, it is kind of big deal.

I have been doing triathlons since 2007 and duathlons since 2006, and have finished over a hundred events since 2006, and I would call this the biggest race, in some respects, that I have done.  I don't expect to finish in the top 25 in my AG and make Team USA, the competition is too good.  The competition is amazing.  I would like to accomplish one of my goals for the year, complete an Olympic distance triathlon in less than two and a half hours.  I think that is a possibility, I have been racing really strong this year, and the Olympic distance races I have done this year indicate I could possibly, finally, realize this goal.  A goal I have been trying to accomplish for a number of years now.  At 40, I might actually do it.

One of my other goals for the year was to be faster at 40, then I was in my 30s.  So far, this year, I have accomplished that goal, and I have a few more race to make it really stick.  I would like this race to be one of the races that really drives home me being faster at 40.

In the end, if I don't go under two and a half hours, or have the best race, it will still be good because I am out there and doing the best I can.

No comments: