Saturday, June 7, 2014

May 2014 Racing and Training Report

May!
Two Tuesday Night Time Trials on new, and painful, course.  Not out and back anymore, now a loop, with more hills and longer.  Tough course.  First night was cold and windy.  Second TT was warmer and less windy.  Dropped about a minute and a half.  As always, I do the race and then get off the bike for a run, about 12-14 minute run around Baker Park.

TNT 5/6 - 13 mi = 36:37 (21.31MPH), rainy, windy, and cold
TNT 5/20 - 13 mi = 35:03 (22.26MPH), nearly the opposite of first race.  Over a minute and a half faster.  Weather makes a big difference.

Also, did Gear West Duathlon, as always.  I wrote a blog post on that race.  It went better than last year, but not my best.  I was pretty happy with my time and performance.

As I have been doing previous months, I have been summarizing my accumulated bike time and total time, and comparing to previous years.  I am doing this to see if my performance, bike and otherwise is improving, and comparing with how I feel.  I am trying to keep my bike time to over 10 hours a month, which I missed in May, but my average is still over 10 hours a month for the year.
Total Training Time Through May (5 months) of the year:

2007 - Total Time = 41.4 Hours     Bike Time = 12 Hours
2008 - Total Time = 128 Hours      Bike Time = 43 Hours
2009 - Total Time = 127 Hours      Bike Time = 47 Hours   (2009 was year of stress fracture)
2010 - Total Time = 131 Hours      Bike Time = 53 Hours   (2010 I did two half-IMs, plus 15 other races)
2011 - Total Time = 131 Hours      Bike Time = 58 Hours
2012 - Total Time = 110 Hours      Bike Time = 40 Hours
2013 - Total Time = 111 Hours      Bike Time = 40 Hours
2014 - Total Time = 121.5 Hours   Bike Time = 52 Hours

You can see that in 2014 I have picked it up from the previous two years.  I would have liked my bike total to be a little higher at this point, but I cannot do much about it now.  June is a big month, 2 TTs, and 4 triathlons.  One weekend will be a double.  With that many races I have to balance my training and my rest and recovery.  I have already had Buffalo, Olympic Distance, Triathlon, blog post coming soon, and the week after I have felt a little tired and have taken it a little easy.  The coming week I am going to train hard, so that the week before the double I can taper off a little bit.  Anyway, so far this year I put in the third highest time on the bike and my total time is ramping up pretty good.  I just have to keep up the bike time, and intensity, along with the other stuff.

I feel pretty good.  As I mentioned above, my legs have felt pretty fatigued this week.  I think Buffalo on Sunday and then a TT on Tuesday has tired them out a bit.  I felt sluggish in the pool, biking to work, and on the short runs I did this week.  Hopefully, a little weekend rest and I will be ready to go this coming week.

My average weight for the last two years has been about 194 pounds, up and down throughout the year.  This year my average is about 186.5 pounds, with a low about 181.  Switching up the diet has made a pretty big difference.  We get a lot of good recipe from skinnytaste.com and Weight Watchers.  I think dropping 5+ pounds should, and is, helping my performance.  Just need to keep it up, which should not be too hard.  It has been pretty easy up to this point.

Below are my usual tables, comparing May from year-to-year (this year was my highest of the last two and fourth overall), my year-to-date totals, my averages, and my totals since 2007.  As always, click on to enlarge.  Enjoy!

Comparison of May Totals from Year-to-Year






Totals and Averages Since 2007












YTD Totals and Total Since 2007

 

No comments: