Thursday, June 12, 2014

2014 Buffalo Triathlon Race Report


It looked like it might be a washout, or at least a delay.  It turned out to be much better than I expected.  It was raining up to about a half hour before, anything from a drizzle to downpour, and then it stopped.  During the swim the sun actually came out for awhile.  I think the temperature stayed in the mid to low 60s, it was humid, windy, and the cloudy for most of the race.  The last mile or so it did start raining again.  The last mile was a pelting rain.  So, there is the weather report for the race.  










I did not scope out the course before the race.  I did do the sprint in 2007, that year it rained the whole time and it was in the 50s.  I think the water temperature was in the 50s.  All I remember from that year was that the water was cold,  I a little panic attack on the swim (most races that first year I had a panic attack on the swim, I finished them all, I just had to slow down and breathe.) it was my first triathlon since high school (1991), and the run was mostly uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back.
The Olympic course is a difficult course.  This course makes that course at St. Anthony's look like a walk in the park.  I would venture to say it is more difficult, at least the bike course, than Maple Grove.  Not only does the bike course have pretty decent climbs, it also was a windy day, so that did not make it any easier.  I was a little slower than St. Anthony's, but considering the conditions I expected myself to be slower than I was.
Back to the swim for a second, it was uneventful, and if the distance is correct I was about 2 minutes faster than St. Anthony's.  That is entirely possible since the water was much calmer here than there.  Almost no waves.  I did something wonky during the swim, it must have been during the swim, my right shoulder was bothering me after the race for about 4 days.  I took some ibu and it seems to be better.
What surprised me the most was the run.  Not only how hard the course is, but how well I ran.  The run out is almost 3 miles uphill.  At points it is STEEP, and long.  I wanted to go under 2:35 for total time and partway into the run I was certain I would not go under 2:40.  I knew that at some point I would turn around and run downhill, but even then you cannot run too fast downhill, for fear of injury and\or falling, so I didn't think that I would make up the time.  I ended up running the 10K under 50 minutes.  It has been a couple years since I ran a 10K under 50 minutes, at St. Croix Valley 2012, and I did not expect it on this course.  I was somehow about to pull it out, and for a minute I thought I would go under 2:30 for the first time.  Even though this course the bike is a little under 24.6 and not 24.8, it would still be a pretty big accomplishment on this course.  In my opinion.  I could not push it that last mile to get under 2:30, I ended up 2:30:59. 
If my first two triathlons of the year, both Olympic distance, are predictive of things to come, I should be able to go under 2:30 this year in one the other two Olympic distance races I have left (AG Nationals and Maple Grove).  As long as I keep up training and getting some good recovery and rest. 
One thing I have learned this year is that rest and recovery are important.  I have taken it a little easier than normal the week before the two races, and I have had good races.  More rest and recovery required, is that just part of getting older? 
I put my results from this year and my results from the 2007 sprint below.  Again, the race in 2007 was my first triathlon since the one I did in high school, which I think was 1991. My transition times were terrible back then, it was my first time doing a triathlon and removing a wetsuit in transition.  At least I have gotten better at that.  I am using the same bike, in 2007 I rode on a 404 front and 808 rear, now it is a 404 front and disc rear.  Run was faster, but the bike and swim were shorter and 3 mile is much less difficult than the 6.2.

2014 Buffalo Olympic Distance Triathlon
Swim (1640 yards) = 27:37 (1:41/100 yards)
T1 = 2:47
Bike (24.6 miles) = 1:09:28 (21.2 MPH)
T2 = 1:36
Run (6.2 miles) = 49:33 (7:59/mi)!
Total = 2:30:59
Overall = 77/253
AG = 11/31
Overall Pace = 4:46/mi

2007 Buffalo Sprint Triathlon
Swim (440 yards) = 10:02 (2:15/100 yards)
T1 = 4:38
Bike (13 miles) = 39:13 (19.9MPH)
T2 = 2:08
Run (3 miles) = 23:14 (7:45/mi)
Total = 1:19:13
Overall = 214/731
AG = 73/178
Overall Pace = 4:53/mi

   

No comments: