Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Yearly Analysis of Swim Performance Since 2007 - Comparison of Performance to Training

I (re)started swimming in 2007, after not swimming since high school. I did duathlons in 2006 and then decided to try triathlons in 2007, so I started swimming in March 2007. 
I hired a coach in 2008 and got swim workouts that I did on my own, typically 3 days a week. I started Masters in early 2009, typically 3 days a week.  You can see significant yardage jumps from 2007 to 2008, and I have more or less maintained that yardage since then.  Something of a spike in 2009 and 2010, when I swam more due to my stress fracture.
In 2013, I continue to swim in the same pool I have swam in since 2009, but with a new Master's coach. 
I have shown improvement with time, but more or less flattened out.  Since the swim distance on swim courses is somewhat suspect, it is hard to determine really how fast you are going.  The only true test of improvement and how fast you are is in the pool, with a certified distance and controlled conditions. 
Some of the swims in triathlons have the timing mat immediately out of the water, some you have a decent run up before you get to it, so that is added into your time. 
I do know that when I started, it was 2+ minutes for a 100s in a set.  Now I am more in the area of 1:20-1:30, sometimes faster.  My fastest off the block, which was last spring was a 1:06, and my fastest 200, in water start, was a 2:44, which was this summer. 
I definitely think that my stroke has gotten better and I have gotten faster.  Even though my race times do not reflect the fact that I have gotten faster.  Still, I do not think I am aggressive enough in the open water.
Below is the data table.  The table in the charts are data from October to October.  My times in the table and the charts are in seconds/100yards because it is easier to plot.  The unusually fast time in 2011 is the Twin Cities Triathlon swim in the Mississippi.  In 2009, I only did two races, the reason for the narrow range, one was a relay triathlon and one was a sprint triathlon, where I walked the run.
There is a huge jump in yardage and time as I go from swimming on my own, to getting coached workouts, to going to Masters, and my race pace improves, and then there is flattening out.  I know, for sure, I have gotten faster in the pool over the last two years, especially this year.  It has not translated to my open water swimming.  Again, I am pretty sure this has more to do with how aggressive I swim, not with my level of physical fitness.  I have to be more aggressive.  I think, I know, I have the fitness and ability to swim faster in races.
My fastest race times are probably the 1:24/100yards - 1:29/100yards.
In 2013, it shows me swimming less from Oct 2012 - Oct 2013, because I took some time off from Oct 2012 - Dec 2012, and a little less in Jan 2013.  My totals for 2013, from Jan-Dec, will beat the same time period from 2012, and probably be the 3rd most yardage, and time, I have put in.  Oct 2013 - Oct 2014 will be pretty high in yards and time.  The new Masters I am in works me much harder than previous years.  I think the increased yardage this year, has helped my overall fitness, and the stroke work has helped my overall swim.
I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, and I will say it again.  As a beginning triathlete, the best thing you can do is swim a lot and get conditioned in the swim.  I have heard/seen, so many beginning triathletes say they will just "get through the swim", barely do any swim training, do all bike and run, and then get to race day and have a bad/horrible swim, and up having the rest of the race be difficult because of it.  When the swim is comfortable, in the sense you can do it and it is not stressful, and you are conditioned for it, the whole race is "easier".

Swim Data Table







Comparison of Total Hours Swimming to Average Race Pace for that Year










Comparison of Total Yards Swimming to Average Race Pace for that Year









Comparison of Total Hours Training to Average Race Pace for that Year










Comparison of Total Yards Swimming to Fastest Race Pace for that Year










Comparison of Total Hours Swimming to Fastest Race Pace for that Year






 

No comments: