Friday, August 9, 2013

2013 Graniteman Big Lake Race Report

First of all, this was the 90th individual multi-sport event (63 triathlons and 27 duathlons) I have completed since I started with the Gear West Duathlon in 2006.  Next stop, 100?  I think I will hit 100 races next season, 100 triathlons will be a few years away.












This race was pretty close to one of those rare occasions when all three, I guess four if you include transitions, come together.  I had a very good swim, a great bike (second fast average speed in a triathlon or duathlon), and my fastest run of the year (a very fast run for me in general).  I think a combination of great weather, a great course, and decent night's sleep really helped things along.
The weather was about as close to perfect as you can get.  Sun was out, not humid, not hot, very little wind.  I think the weather, actually  whether it is sunny or not, makes a big difference.  At least this year.  It seems the races that were cloudy and kind of gloomy, I didn't have a great race.  When the weather was nice, I had a better race.
The swim is a rectangle.  I got to the inside and got out fast ahead of almost everyone, for once.  It was clear swimming until we caught the wave before, but it was still not very crowded at all.  I figured I was 3rd or 4th out of the water in my AG.  When I checked the results I was 4th out, not bad.  As has been the case all year, getting out of my wetsuit, getting socks on, and getting on the bike has been painfully slow, at least it feels that way and looks that way from my times.  At this race, I was a little better.
The bike course is nearly flat, no real climbs, no excuses for not going as fast as possible.  The bike went well and it felt pretty good.  I was surprised, pleasantly, to see my split.  It is the second fastest average speed I have ever had in a triathlon or duathlon.  I had my fastest T2 of the year.
The run course, along Big Lake, is not flat, it has some up and downs along it, not as bad as Waconia or Maple Grove.  It has decent shade, not entirely out in the open like Heart of the Lakes.
I would have thought I would finish better than 7th out of 28 in my AG, but it is just that competitive in my AG.  It is only going to get more competitive the older I get.  The 40-44, and 45-49 guys are really fast.
I did two of the three Graniteman races this year, Saint Cloud and Big Lake.  I missed the second race, Clearwater.  I will definitely do Big Lake again, and I would like to try Saint Cloud again.  I think I can go much faster at Saint Cloud.  These races are well run and the courses are pretty nice.
Overall, it was a great day and a great race.

2013 Graniteman Big Lake
Swim (581 yards) = 9:26 (1:41/100yards)
T1 = 2:04
Bike (14.5mi) = 37:50 (22.9MPH)
T2 = 0:41
Run (3.1mi) = 23:45 (7:40/mile)
Total = 1:13:45
Overall = 32/270
AG = 7/28
Pace = 4:07/mile

No comments: