Friday, September 14, 2012

Review of My 2012 Triathlon Results - Comparison to Previous Years

Triathlon season is over. Time to take a look back on this year and do a little comparison to years past.
First, I would say that my best performance was in some of the worst weather, Lake Minnetonka Triathlon.  I had my fastest all around race, in pouring rain for most of the race.  I felt good that race, even in the rain. 
My worst race, was my last race, St. Croix Valley.  Not only was my performance bad, it felt bad.  I won't go into it further since I did in my last post. 
I had a string of three races, Minneman, Heart of the Lakes, and Chisago Lakes, where I averaged over 22MPH on the bike.  That was my best bike stretch.
My two fastest runs were the two races early in the season, Manitou and Minnetonka, that had short runs.  After those two races, most of my runs were pretty crappy, except surprisingly, Brewhouse.  Brewhouse does not have a flat run course, so it was a surprise to have a nice run on that course.

The table below lists all my races, and all my splits.  If you click on the table it will enlarge so you can see the details better.



Here are the averages, of 10 races, from the table:
Average Swim Distance and Pace: 1205 yards and 1:42/100 yards
Average T1 Time: 2:24
Average Bike Distance and Speed: 21.4 miles and 21.2MPH
Average T2 Time: 1:23
Average Run Distance and Pace: 4.81 miles and 8:25 min/mile
Average Total Triathlon Distance and Pace: 26.88 miles and 4:39 min/mile

Below are charts that compare my average speed/pace/time for each area of triathlon by year.  Below the charts is a table that contains all the data.  The times are averages of my sprint and Olympic distance races, no half-im distances are included.
Basically, I got faster after 2007, then I missed 2009 with injury, improved a bit in 2010, then kind of leveled off, and in some cases got slower, like the run. 
My increase in performance from 2007 to 2008 was probably due to the large increase in training time and to coaching.  Below the table with my averages is the total time I spent training each year.  Time includes, swimming, biking, running, strength, other (water jogging when injured and elipitical trainer), and races.  At the end of this year, I will compare training time from year-to-year

Swim Average Pace Comparison from Year-to-Year (Lower is better)









T1 and T2 Average Time from Year-to-Year (Lower is better)









Bike Average Speed from Year-to-Year (Higher is better)











Run Average Pace from Year-to-Year (Lower is better)









 
 

Total Average Pace from Year-to-Year (Lower is better)










Data table for each year's average with average and standard deviation







Time spent swimming, biking, running, in hours, each year is in paranthesis in that order
Total Time 2007 = 96 hours (27, 31, 37)
Total Time 2008 = 288 hours (83, 103, 102)
Total Time 2009 = 267 hours (120, 99, 22)
Total Time 2010 = 313 hours (117, 124, 50)
Total Time 2011 = 283 hours (92, 125, 60)
So far in 2012, as of end of August =  174 hours (74, 63, 38)

 

No comments: