Monday, February 20, 2012

OHP Indoor Triathlon - Working and Racing

On Sunday, I worked the CompuTrainer portion of the OptumHealth Performance Indoor Triathlon.  It is the second of four indoor triathlons that OHP is putting on this winter/spring.
The race consists of a 500 yard pool swim, a 5 mile bike on the CompuTrainer (first race was 10 mile, but that was deemed to long and changed to 5 miles), and a 2 mile treadmill run. 
Coach Kris was gone, so I was selected\asked to setup, with help, and run the CompuTrainer.  The 5 mile bike course is actually pretty challenging, not flat.  There are 2%, 5%, and 6% climbs, the climbs are fairly long.  I would estimate that at least half the course is climbing, at least it feels that way.  I think my time and average speed are an indication of the difficulty of the bike. 
There were seven people who did the race, and I think it went well. 
When the last person got off the treadmill I did the race on my own, and I was pretty happy with how it went.

500yd swim - 7:21 (1:28/100yds)
5 mi CompuTrainer Course - 17:44.28 (16.9MPH)
2mi run - 15:35 (7:47 min/mi)
Total Time - 40:40.28

My time did not get included with the rest of the group.  I did it to get an idea of my fitness level and how it would feel going about race pace in February.  My 500 was pretty fast, I just got in, did a warm-up 50, and then swam.  I hopped out of the pool and into the locker room, grab my shoes and socks, and headed into the studio.  Once in the studio, put on socks, wrote down swim time, got on bike, spun for about a minute and then started the bike.  The bike felt difficult, as it should.  Coach Kris and I did the bike course a couple of weeks ago, on a Monday night.  That night I went 16:54, about 50 seconds faster than the race, but that night I did not swim first.
Once done with the bike, I got off and wrote down time and speed, put on shoes and hopped on treadmill.  I started the treadmill slow, slow enough that first mile was over 8:00min/mi, maybe about 8:10, so I picked it pretty good on the second mile by negative splitting it at about 7:25min/mi pace.  This is easier to do on  a treadmill when you get an adjust your speed almost to exactly where you want it.
So, all in all it went pretty well.
If I am available next month, March, I will sign-up and do it "for real"
I recommend that if you can do the one at OHP, do it, or if you cannot and there are local ones in your area, I know that LifeTime has them and the Y also has them, you should at least do one over the winter.  They are fun, and a good way to get an idea of where you are at during the winter.

No comments: