Wednesday, August 3, 2011

2011 Waseca Sprint Triathlon Report - A Pleasant Surprise

Another early morning, up at 3AM for the second Sunday in a row.  This time to drive to Waseca to do the Waseca Sprint for the first time.  I was out the door about 4AM.  I need time in the morning, especially when I have to drive about an hour and a half.  I like to shower, have breakfast, you know, wake-up.  Stopped along the way to get the required donut and coffee.

When I got there, the sun was just coming up and it was humid.  There were mosquitos galore, first time for that this year. 
I stopped at the Gear West tent and got my front deraileur checked out and chatted with Jared.  I have mentioned in previous posts trouble I had with it, at the Twin Cities and at the last TNT.  I adjusted it a little the night before Waseca and I thought it was ok, but I figured since I was early and no one was asking for Jared's help, I would get his assistance.  The problem, I learned, is the cable at the bottom, where it comes out of the frame, gets clogged up with crap over time.  He tried to lube it, clean it, and adjust it.  It worked well during the race.
I also talked with Steve (who has a great blog and a race report at: http://iwannagetphysical.blogspot.com/2011/08/waseca-sprint-triathlon-race-report.html) on and off before the race and Kevin, the owner of Gear West who was doing the 1/3 iron distance race.  I did a short bike warm-up, not much needed, it was getting hot and the humidty was already there.  I wanted to check the bike and make sure all was good.  All was good.


I spent most of the time down by the water.  I did not wear a wetsuit, the swim was too short and the water, and air, too warm for it.  I bought a brand new wetsuit this year and I have worn at two races and three times in a pool.  At least it won't wear out too fast.  We had to wait about 25 minutes after the 1/3 IM distance start before the sprint start.  During that time I watched the long course and played around in the water.  Tried to stay cool and relaxed. 
I was in the first wave, which was 29 and under.  I started next to Steve at the front.  The problem with me starting at the front is that I swim pretty fast, but I don't get started very fast.  So, at the start I get caught in a mass of people going fast at the start, if I start at the head, and I have to fight back through those people as I swim.  Basically what happened today.  No major collosions, just a lot of manuvering to get position.  The swim went well, no real issues.  As I got close to the finish, I realized the person next to me was Steve.  He took off like a rocket to and through transition.  I was a little slower. 
The run up to T1 and then out of T1 to the bike mount is longish.  I started out slow on the bike and took some fluid and then started hammering.  I had no idea where I was in the pack, but I could see some people out in front of me.  I know I am not the fastest runner, so as usual,  I am going to try and hammer the bike and then let the chips fall where they may on the run.  The bike course has no real steep climbs on it.  Basically flat with some rollers, and it is out and back.  If memory serves me correctly, I caught one guy early, then Steve, and then maybe one or two other guys.  Take that back, one was a female, she is the super fast runner, and swimmer, Claire.  Coming up to the turnaround I saw two guys coming back and immediately at the turnaround there were two other guys, I think.  I passed those two quick after the turnaround, one of the guys came back around me, and I passed him about a mile or two out from T2.  I was really trying to push it into tranistion, which I think I did.
I got through transition quick and I new immediately it was going to be a tough run.  Right off the bat I was passed by two people.  I knew Steve would pass me fairly fast.  My hope was to run a high 7min/mi to low 8min/mi pass.  I figured that was the best I could hope for and Steve would be running low to mid 6min/mi pace, he caught me, along with Claire at about the 1 mile marker.  By about a mile and half I was caught by the amazing 53 year old Charlie, who was running at a sub 6min/mi pace.  The run was a sufferfest, which was expected.  Very little shade and mostly flat, some rollers near the end.  The last mile or so I went back and forth with another guy, he walked and ran, I ran but still could not keep up with him.  I wanted to run faster, but I just could not get my legs to go.  I think a combination of the bike and heat and humidity just made it difficult.
I felt pretty good about how I finished.  I was unsure of my run split.  After the run I would have been happy with going 8:30 min/mi.  No results were up right away, but I figured I did okay on the day.  I got passed by a lot of people on the run.  I thought that last year they gave out awards in 10 year age groups, and I figured I was not going to make the top three in that range, considering who I knew was in front of me.  Finally I saw the results come up and as I was walking over to the results, Steve was walking back he congratulated me for winning my age group.  I was surprised, to say the least.  I walked over and there it was, they had 5 year age groups and I had won mine.  The age group below and above were faster, but today my age group (35-39) was right in my wheelhouse.  What a pleasant surprise.  So, I got to stay for awards.
During awards, Jerry announced my name and sounded a little surprised, that would make two of us.
It turned out that my bike split was the fastest in my AG and 8th fastest overall.  That is basically what got me the win in my AG.  The gap I put on the bike is basically the gap I won by.
So I got my first AG win ever.  Hooray!
I thought this was a well run race on a fast course.  I would consider doing this race again and I recommend it for someone doing a triathlon for the first time.
Waseca is my 10th race of the year, 8th triathlon plus 2 duathlons. 
I have 4 races remaining, 2 duathlons and 2 triathlons.

2011 Waseca Sprint Triathlon Results
Swim (440yds) - 10:04 (2:18/100yds) I think the distance is longer, this by far the slowest split of the last two years.  My "easy" pool splits are under 2min.
T1 - 1:11
Bike (14mi) - 37:47 (22 MPH) - 8th overall and 1st in AG
T2 - 0:43
Run (4.4mi) - 35:14 (8:01 min/mi)
Total - 1:24:57
Overall - 16/147
Age Group - 1/17
Overall Pace - 4:33 min/mi

1 comment:

Brian said...

Shouldn't be surprised at all for winning the AG, Chris. You've been working hard this year. Make no excuses....brag it up! You won!