Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lake Minnetonka Sprint Triathlon - Another Great Day and Waconia Thoughts

I had another race that I am very happy with my performance. It was my first time doing this race and I really enjoyed it.
The morning was windy and cold, for June, and looked like it was going to rain. Fortunately, it did not rain and turned out to be a great day for a race. As usual, I got there early, got setup and had some time to chat with people before the race start. Jackie was, again, good enough to get up and cheer me on. It is great to have someone coming with me to the race, keep me company, and cheer me on.
I did a short bike ride and hung out until we all had to gather outside the transition area. They want to keep track of everyone, so we all had to walk through transition and then out across the bike out mat. Then we all walked to the beach for the start. After going to the bathroom, I got a short swim in and it was start time. It was nice to start in the 3rd wave and only have to wait 15 minutes.
This time I got up in the front, on the inside, and took off harder than last week. There was a little position battling going on at first, but by the time I got to the first buoy the water was pretty clear. The wind was blowing mostly west to east, and maybe a little south to north, as best I could judge. Going out the chop was on my left and coming around the point it was at my back and right. This created some issues for the right side breather that I am. I had to rotate more to get my head out to breath, I still took some water in. It did not affect my swim too much, because I came out 7th in my age group. I knew that if I got in the front and took off stronger I should be in the top ten in my age group.
I got out good, got the wetsuit off with very little issues, and then proceeded to run the wrong way out of transition. Jackie yelled at me and I changed course before I got out of transition and went out the correct way.
Not a lot to say about the bike. I started in the 3rd wave, so I didn't pass many people and I don't recall getting passed. It was kind of windy and a little more hilly than I expected. The bike felt strong and it seemed faster than it was. I would have guessed my average MPH was over 21 and closer to 22. So much for my perception. The bike was not as fast as I would have liked, but I am still pretty happy with it.
I got off the bike with no issue and fumbled with my socks, as usual. I took off strong again. The first part of the run has an uphill, and then mostly flat. As expected, the first mile was painful, cardio wise, and then it felt easier. Also as expected, this is where I got passed. Which is fine. I am really happy with my run time, it was faster than last weekend. I felt like I gave it my all and didn't have anything in the tank when I finished. That is what I am looking for.

Swim (880 yards) - 13:27 (1:32/100 yards)
T1 - 1:51
Bike (14.5 miles) - 41:58 (20.7 MPH)
T2 - 1:28
Run (3 miles) - 23:20 (7:47 min/mi)
Total Time = 1:22:01
Overall = 85/452
AG = 13/42

I did Waconia in 2008 and had a horrible swim. It was windy and the water was choppy. The rough water was no excuse. It was the only race that year that I had trouble with them swim. It won't happen this year. It is half mile swim again, but this time with a TT start. I think the TT start should give me a little faster time than Minnetonka. I am going to look at some thing like 13 minutes flat. The bike is 20 miles, I would like to average over 21MPH, so I come in under an hour with room to spare. The run is 4 miles, if I can average 8 min/mi or faster I would be thrilled. Taking this all into account I would like to finish about 1:45. If I did less than 1:50 I would be happy, if I was less than 1:45 I would be thrilled.
Below are my results from 2008 Lake Waconia Triathlon. They had a longer bike that year due to construction.

Swim (880 yards) - 24:33 (2:48/100 yards)
T1 - 2:34
Bike (24 miles) - 1:07:57 (21.2 MPH)
T2 - 1:35
Run (4 miles) - 32:09 (8:03 min/mi)
Total - 2:08:45
Overall - 188/431
AG - 22/38

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job. Strong Bike!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

I can relate to Waconia. The only DNF of my life was last year. Never made it out of the water.

George Kilm said...

Soft suede leather construction with a fully padded insole of Minnetonka Kilty Suede Moc Hardsole Shoe. Soft suede leather construction with a fully padded insole. The lightweight stitched-on rubber sole creates a comfortable walking base. Shoe Width Felt true to width. They are so comfortable to wear around the house all day instead of being barefoot or in granny slippers. Minnetonka