Sunday, April 4, 2010

Product Review 20 - Speedo Active Goggles - Air Seal Tri Mirror



Admittedly, I have not used Speedo goggles in the last year. I had a number of different pairs of Speedo goggles in the past and had fit problems, leak problems, and fog problems. So, I looked forward to trying out a new pair of Speedo goggles tailored to triathletes. A few things I noticed about the Speedo (www.speedousa.com) Air Tri Mirror (price $19-$25) goggle before putting them on. The nosepiece has not adjustment, as opposed to other Speedo goggles I have had in the past. This is not a problem. The outside of the goggle appears to have a secondary coating or film over the lenses, making them thicker on the outside, this is the anti-reflective coating. Speedo employs their “wide-angle technology” to improve vision, and these goggle do have a very good field of view. The gasket around the lenses is thicker and more rubbery. I have put at least a few ten thousand yards in with these goggles and so far so good. They are comfortable and to fit nicely they don’t have to pinch my head or cut off circulation to my brain. This probably due to the fact that these goggles have “soft-frame technology” that allows them to form-fit around the face and head better. They have not fogged up and there have been no real leak problems. The only real leak problem occurred when the tightening strap on the back slipped out, which happened on a couple of occasions. When that happened, they leaked but did not fall off or slip down. I just have to remember to tighten the strap occasionally, which is easy with the strap system they have employed. Tightening requires you to pull on the loose ends of the strap that run through a clip on the back.

I have only had a chance to wear the goggles indoors so it is hard to tell how good the tint is on the goggles. It will be interesting to see how good they work outdoors in the open water on a nice sunny day. It will be interesting to see how well these goggles hold up over the course of the year. So far, I like these goggles and would consider purchasing another pair.

No comments: