Friday, June 5, 2009

Still On the Mend




Went to the doctor on Monday and there is still a fracture in the leg. Posted pictures are from an x-ray that was taken about 5 weeks ago. New x-rays look the same. Good thing is that when she pushes on the fracture point it does not hurt. For the last for weeks I have upped my Vit D to 4000 I.U. per day and recently I upped my Calcium to about 1000mg+. I have been swimming, pull only, 3 times a week. Hopefully I don't destroy my shoulders. I have switched to swimming in a wetsuit, which I think has helped reduce the wear and tear on the shoulders.


I have been lifting 1-3 times and biking easy on the trainer a little.


Really frustrating that I have to cancel races and try to get transfers or refunds or neither. I really want to race. I know that I have to be patient and wait this out, otherwise I will never get back to where I was.


On Monday I am getting a Exogen 4000 ultrasound bone stimulator, I think. See how things go with the doctor, sales rep, and insurance. Apparently it is supposed to stimulate blood flow and improve healing. Decrease healing time by 30%. See if I get it and see if it works.






2 comments:

lu said...

though I've never had the urge to compete, I've fear any injury the at would keep me from running.

On other fronts it sounds like you're having a good time in life outside of racing and training.

I think it's important to keep perspective on the racing etc.

While the ability to maintain fitness is key, the competition and the pursuit of perfect form etc. can eat away at an interpersonal life- screw with perspective.

This little injury may be the perfect time to work on keeping this part of your life in check, realign and balance the tires so to speak.

Christopher Hawes said...

You are correct. I am working balancing things as best as I can. It has been a long time since I dated anyone, so it takes some work for me to balance things. The injury is probably helping me, and her. Thanks for your thoughts, they are good ones.