Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wide Open


I spent two and a half months working in Boise, ID.  From last October until mid-December.  During that time I spent my days in a "fab".  A fab is a slang for fabrication, or computer chip fabrication facility.  The fab in Boise is huge, has no windows, and you have to wear a "bunny suit" while you are in it.  A bunny suit is a suit made of Tyvex that covers you from head-to-toe.  Fabs have the air exchanged continuously, so you are the dirtiest thing in there, hence the reason for you having to wear the suit. Manufacturing facilities for computer chips need to be very clean. I spent anywhere from 6-12 hours a day in the fab in Boise.  So, to the point of this story.  After I was there about a month, I started keeping the curtains in my hotel room open as much as possible.  I think being in a windowless building all day was getting to me.  Before I went to Boise I only kept the blinds in my apartment open once and awhile.  Never really made a point of it.  Ever since I have been back, since mid-Dec, I have had my blinds open almost all the time.  Only closing them when necessary.  It is like I need to feel that connection to the rest of the outside world, and I did not before.  Being bottled up there now makes me feel like I have to be open to the outside world.  I like it.  I realize I was missing the sound and the sights of the goings on outside my apartment here in Saint Paul.

No comments: